Sunday, January 19, 2014

Paper Lanterns for Chinese New Year

A quick apology before we begin. On the instructions, I listed Chinese New Years as January 23rd.  I'm not sure where I got my information, but it's really the 31st.  I don't think doing this craft a few days early would hurt anything, but I do like to be accurate, so I thought I'd fix my mistake.

In the January kit, I included a paper lantern craft for Chinese New Year.  Here's a quick how-to.

Begin with one full sheet of 9 x 12 construction paper and 3 strips of 1 x 12 construction paper.  You will also need scissors and glue, tape or stapler.  I used tape for the lantern and trim and a stapler for the handle.

Start by taking your full sheet of construction paper and making a hot dog fold (that's long and skinny instead of short and fat, which is a hamburger fold--got that from my art teacher in high school).  Starting with the folded side, make slits in the paper about 1 inch apart and ending about 1 inch from the edge (see picture left).

Open up the paper and bring the shorter sides around to meet each other. (see below)  Overlap ending strips on each side and tape or glue together.  I chose to tape because I wasn't patient enough to wait for the glue to dry.








Now, take one of the 1 inch strips and wrap it around the top edge of the lantern (tape or glue it down).  Repeat with the bottom edge.






Finally, use the last strip to make a handle.  Tape or staple one end to the inside of the lantern.  Bring it over to the opposite side and attach it there as well.






Voila, the end result! 


Happy Chinese New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment